Thursday, January 29, 2009

100 things...Part I

My cousin did this on her blog and I thought it was a great idea. Growing up we didn't know each other since she lived so far away and it is neat to be able to get to know her through her blog. I thought it might be fun to follow suit and do the same...so here it goes. Where to start is the hard part!!

1. I grew up in Amarillo, TX. On the North side of town in the Eastridge area. I attended Eastridge Elementary, Travis Middle School and Palo Duro High School.

2. I have always loved sports. I was a cheerleader in 3rd-6th grade, then got involved in volleyball, basketball and track in 7th grade-11th grade. I started softball in the summers in 6th grade and I still try to play when I can.

3. I was an only child for 11 years, and after all of my begging I finally got a sister.

4. My favorite color is blue, however, looking at my wardrobe you would think it was black

5. My favorite candy bar is not technically a bar, but Reece's Peanut Butter Cups

6. I shouldn't, but I enjoy Dr. Pepper. I actually quit for 5 years, but had one sip at the State Fair and it was all over :)

7. I was Miss Palo Duro high school 1998

8. Ranch dressing is disgusting to me

9. My first job was at the greenhouse where my mom works. I was 14 when I started working there in the summer. I sorted tags, answered phones, took cuttings, washed the greenhouse out with a super water hose, and cleaned the break room. It was hot, dirty and hard work. I made $4.25 an hour and I was so excited to get my very own paycheck.

10. Other jobs that I had during school were: Sitel-telemarketing where I had to sell America Online to customers that had cancelled their subscription, JC Penney-I started out in the women's department and made commission...there is nothing like trying to compete with an older woman that has worked retail most of her life to try and help a customer. Some of those ladies had to be making some big bucks. Luckily, I was moved to petites and I was usually the only one in the department. However, I'm not sure how they decided to put me over there, because I am far from petite. Then, I was moved to Simply for Sports, basically the athletic shoes, and that was right up my alley. I got to wear my Nike's to work everyday...GREAT! Plus, I was the only girl in the department and I totally would rather work with men. Women are just difficult to work with sometimes. I worked there in high school and into college.

11. During college I worked in banking. I started out as a part time teller and PNB Financial. Then, I went to The Peoples Federal Credit Union and worked as a teller, new accounts, loan processing and handled ATM's and the vault. During my time there I got to work at our Pantex branch and that was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it, but my ex-supervisor called me to see if I wanted to come to First National to work for her again. She promised me good things, so I went. However, it turned out to be a mistake...well, I say that. I actually still talk to one of the guys that I worked with and became good friends with.

12. After college we were in DFW and I worked for AIG. I was a claims adjuster and handled worker's comp claims for TX and OK. It was a lot more stressful that I thought it was going to be. Plus, there was about an hour commute to and from work. Not fun! Especially since Eric worked about 3 blocks from the house.

13. I got my Associates Degree in Liberal Arts from Amarillo College and then my Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from West Texas A&M. My first degree plan was for Physical Therapy.

14. I still change my mind about what I want to be when I grow up every few months. The ideas usually vary between Real Estate, Radiology, School Psychology or Speech Therapy. I still think about PT every now and then.

15. I am not a fan of fish. I do like some seafood, like shrimp, lobster and crab (only crab cakes) and I have to be in the mood for them

16. I was pretty much tomboy most of my life. I remember having a Dukes of Hazzard race car set when I was little..


17. I love music and what I want to listen to changes with the seasons. Sometimes I'm in the mood for country, older country music, sometimes oldies (or oldies, but goldies as my Mama says, I used to think she was calling them oldiebagoldies, haha), then I will want to hear r&b songs from high school, or old rap songs from middle school/high school. However, my radio is usually tuned to our local Christian station KLTY.

18. My first car was a 94 Mustang convertible. It was green with a white rag top.


19. Growing up I had lots of pets. We always had dogs, but I also once had a cat named Sassy (because she was very sassy), a parakeet named Gabby, a hamster named Oscar (after Oscar the grouch), a rabbit named Sniffles (Her full name was Hoppy Sniffles Reed, but went by her middle name since I did too). The dogs I remember are Gidget, Dinkie, Dudley, Biscuit and DJ.

20. I am a Daddy's Girl, but talk to my Mom at least once a week.

21. I had lasik surgery in 2006. It was amazing how well I could see just minutes after leaving the office. I had to start wearing glasses in the 2nd grade! Yes, I was called 4 eyes and all of that fun stuff. Luckily I didn't let it get to me. I got contacts before HS and wore them until I had Lasik.


22. I met Eric in HS. We knew a lot of the same people, but had never met. I was kind of talking to a friend of his (who happens to still be a good friend of ours now) and he invited me over to watch a movie. It just happened to be at Eric's house and in the middle of the movie he left me alone with Eric and he went somewhere. We started talking and had a lot in common...the rest is history :)


23. One of my proudest moments in college was when I made a 100 on my final in Philosophy.


24. With Collin I was in labor for 29 hours and 5 minutes. No drugs for the first 16 hours.

25. The only surgery I have ever had was in first grade. I had to have a hernia repair. It was rare to be a girl and have one, since they say it's more common in little boys.

26. I did some substitute teaching just before I had Collin. I thought I might want to teach and then eventually become a school counselor or school psychologist. After subbing, I'm not convinced that is where I'm supposed to be.


27. I started classes to get my teaching certification and passed my exam in EC-4, however, I decided not to continue since I just didn't feel that is what I'm supposed to do. I had to make a decision before it started costing more money too!


28. I once set a city record for the 200m dash...I wish I could remember my speed. I know I have the newspaper clipping somewhere, but I can't remember where. I want to say I was in 8th or 9th grade.


29. My junior year in high school I was nominated for Jr class favorite, however, my good friend Nip won.


30. My family used to get together for holidays, but due to our good friend alcohol, the get togethers usually ended in fighting.


31. My Memaw kept me all day while my parents worked. It was great because she always made me biscuits and gravy for breakfast and chicken and dumplings for lunch...yum!


32. I loved playing softball. Our team traveled to Lubbock, Clovis NM, and sometimes Dallas to play in tournaments. I once played in the World Tournament that took place in Kansas...we didn't play very well and I think we all had at least one injury before it was over. It was a fun trip though!


33. I lost a good friend to a bad accident after high school, at her wake I was saved! I remember at that moment just feeling God's calming hand and accepting Jesus as my Savior. I sent a letter to my friend's parents and told them how much she meant to me and how it changed my life.


34. About once a month I get the itch to clean out my closets and reorganize them.


35. I don't like clutter...it drives me crazy. Of course, since I have had Collin the clutter is much worse. I'm learning to deal with it.


36. I consider myself a really nice person, maybe too nice sometimes, however, if you put me in traffic on these DFW highways I get a bad case of road rage.


37. I am close to my mother-in-law, we have a great relationship and I'm actually happy when she is around. I think that is pretty cool.


38. I was a good kid and didn't get in trouble much.....


39. However, in middle school I had a little mouth on me and spent many days in the office. Funny story...I was in there so much that a couple of times I got to have lunch from McDonald's with the assistant principal. She really liked me, but my math teacher did not want me in her class. My desk for math class was in the hall!


40. Once in middle school choir my dad had to come up to the school to have a talk with my choir teacher...my dad told me to stop picking on my teacher because he was just a nerd...haha. Let me tell you what happened to get my dad called...the choir teacher was in my face telling me how to make my "o" sound like I was sucking from a large Mcdonald's straw...you know how they are wider than other straws. At that point I said. "ewwww, you might need a tic-tac". I thought it was rather funny and so did my entire class.


41. I got suspended for fighting in 7th grade. When I got back to school I had to be in ISS for a week. However, I got special privileges for good behavior. That is the only fight I have ever been in.


42. I liked high school...middle school is where I had problems. I guess that's where I was trying to figure out who I was and where I fit in.


43. I only got swats a few times in middle school...I remember knowing that they were coming and I would layer my clothing, haha

44. I was a team captain of my JV volleyball team my junior year in high school.

45. When I was baptised my parents came to support me and liked the church. They ended up joining and are still members. They were both baptised about 6 months after I was. Then, my Grandma (Memaw-my Mom's Mom) came and was baptised, along with my Aunt Darlene.

46. I grew up knowing my Memaw and I knew my Grandma Irene. Grandma Irene passed away when I was about 8. I never got to meet either of my Grandpa's because they both passed away before I was born. My Memaw passed away a few years ago.

47. Eric got me a puppy right after we got married because he was traveling some with work and I was going to be home alone. It was my first time to live on my own, so he brought Blaze to me. She was 7 weeks old and I fell in love with her the moment I first saw her. I still miss her very, very much.

48. I love to travel. Every year I try to plan a trip somewhere. The only part I hate is packing...if someone would just pack for me that would be great!

49. Places that I have traveled to: Maui-Hawaii, Ann Arbor- Michigan, Oletha-Kansas, Sandusky-Ohio (where I rode one the tallest, fastest coasters on the planet!), Corpus Christi-TX, Galveston-TX, Cancun-Mexico, San Diego-CA, Taos-NM, Angel Fire-NM, Leadville-CO, Santa Fe-NM, We took a cruise to: Cozumel-Mexico, Key West-Florida, Grand Cayman Islands.

50. I'm very particular about our finances. I prefer to always make sure our accounts are balanced to the penny.

Okay, there is the first 50. The good, ,the bad and the ugly :) It was harder than I thought to come up with that many things...I am going to try to think of 50 more at some point. It's kind of fun to think back through my life because I realize that all of these things are what makes me who I am! If you made it through all of them thanks for taking the time to get to know me better. I'll be blogging again soon....

2 comments:

Holly said...

You were kidding! We do have a lot in common.
I LOVE Reese Cups too, but I favor the holiday versions over the regular ones. There are two packs of the Valentines Reece Cups in the cookie jar right now!
Dr. Pepper is a weakness for Jay and I too.
I can't wait to read the rest of your list!

Brandie said...

I love your 100 things part I ..I am going to add you on my blog list if that is okay :) have a wonderful day !!