Sunday, January 9, 2011
Collin's "Good" board
A few months ago, Collin started acting out a little bit. Riley was about 3 months old and since he is 3 we weren't sure if it was just his age or what. He never has done anything except be sweet to Riley, but he started talking back to us (mainly me), throwing fits, saying "NO!", and had a few potty accidents. Well, I say accidents. I think it was more on purpose and he knew it upset me and shocked me, because he had been doing so well. As I was speaking to the Lord about it, I had a vision of a board with stars on it. So, I told Eric that I thought it meant that I should start a board with Collin and give him stars or stickers when he did well. Instead of always getting on to him, since that is what I felt like I was doing, this was a much more positive approach. We decided to use a dry erase board and give him a star when he was doing well, and if he acted up he would lose a star. We started with 10 being the number to reach. We told him when he got to 10 he would get to go to the store and pick out a toy. A few weeks went by and he got a few, lost a few, and I told Eric that I didn't think the poor guy would ever get to 10! ha. So, we lowered it to 5. I really wanted him to reach the goal so that he knew what he got if he did. Before Christmas he finally got to 5. So, I made a big deal out of it and took him to Target. He had been talking about wanting "food play-doh" that he had seen on t.v. It was moon dough actually, but he called it food play-doh. When we got to the store we went to the toy section and I tried to show him some different things and he went straight to the aisle with the moon dough, looked at it and said, "that's what I want." I asked if he was sure and he said, "Yep, we need to pay for it." That's our boy, he knows what he wants!! So, we paid for it and went home-and we weren't even there 15 minutes. He loves playing with it. He is on his way to getting another one soon! Now we may have to move his goal back to 10. It does seem to be working out well for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment