Sunday, July 18, 2010

Heeeere's Riley

On June 24th 2010 at 4:06pm Riley Colleen came into the world! Weighing 6 lbs, 5 oz and 19.5 inches long. She shares her middle name with her Gran: Phyllis Colleen. What a blessing she is.

It seemed like we were waiting forever for her since she was a week late, but once she was here none of that mattered. I went in to the hospital on Wednesday night, the 23rd, to have some medication to soften my cervix. The next morning they started me on pitocin. I had to stay in the bed for a little while after that began, but after a few hours they let me walk around and get out the birthing ball. I was handling the contractions pretty well, but still only dilated to a 3. They broke my water and things began to progress pretty quickly. I remember being in a lot of pain!! I got in the tub for a little while and that helped. Eric was so wonderful through the whole thing, rubbing my back, and motivating me. At that point I didn't know how much longer it would be and I was in major pain...so I opted for the epidural. I got the epidural, and it didn't take on one side, but they added some more and that helped. Then, they checked me and I was ready to push! Crazy!! I rested for a little while so that I wouldn't have to push much (since I pushed 3 and a half hours with Collin). As the midwife and nurses were getting everything ready, she asked Eric if he wanted to deliver her...and he asked, "is that an option?" She said, "yes, and I will be right here to help you." I did 2 "practice pushes" and then pushed 4 times and there was Riley! Eric was able to deliver his own baby girl!! It was so amazing and I know it meant so much to him to get to do that. As much as I wanted to do it without drugs, I totally believe that it all happened the way God intended for it to. Had I not gotten the epidural we would have done the water birth as we had planned...and Eric would probably not have had the opportunity to deliver her.

After getting settled in our postpartum room, Eric went and got Collin and my parents. Collin got to meet baby Riley and was so excited. He wanted to hold her, kiss her and talk to her. Since she has been home he has been great with her! He has wanted us to play with him, a lot, but overall he has adjusted pretty well.

I have tons of pictures to add...hopefully I can get those posted soon.

No comments: